Should You Sell Your Own Home? (Post 2 of 3)
(Continued from last week…)
Should you sell your own home? Your goal is to sell your home in the shortest time for the most money. You feel by NOT hiring a Realtor®, you can save on the real estate commission by selling the home yourself. Consider the following steps you must take:
6. Advertise. Check rates for newspaper, homes magazines & television advertising. Also consider the investment of time in advertising on multiple online sites. Create a budget. Write and design an advertisement that will attract the right buyers to your property.
7. Contact out-of-town buyers. Prepare a plan to reach prospective buyers moving to town. Out-of-town buyers account for a notable share of today’s home buyers.
8. Show home to prospective buyers. Make sure you are available, and your property is always prepared, for a showing. A potential buyer may call anytime and wish to see the home.
9. Hold open houses. Schedule your open houses on weekends. To make your property more inviting, place flowers in some of the rooms. Scented candles are a nice touch and nothing is more inviting than the smell of freshly baked bread or cookies. It is important that you are available to answer prospective buyers’ questions: information on schools, parks, shopping, churches, etc. Be discreet; buyers may feel uncomfortable with the home owner around.
10. Prescreen prospective buyers. Learn to separate “lookers” from qualified buyers. Ask for names and phone numbers. Follow up with phone calls; be careful not to sound overly anxious.
More information will be available on selling your own home next week. For a complete printable list, click here.
You may be one of those people who is comfortable in the role of “For Sale by Owner,” but if you aren’t, a Semonin agent will be happy to assist you in any way. Call today. And remember Semonin Realtors is dedicated to giving you superior service. We will sell your home in the shortest time – for the best price – and make the sale of your home as smooth as possible.